GAINSBOROUGH

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

GAINSBOROUGH

Postby mike1 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:58 pm

Now that everyone has had their say on the non-event of Friday night, what sort of line-up would you like to see against Gainsborough? Here is a team suffering from a managerial change and no doubt unsettled at the moment. We'll never have a better chance of winning a game than on Saturday. I'd go for Matty Hughes in a more forward, penetrative role and I think we can assume that Challoner will be restored at right-back. Lee Molyneux is a very useful signing and should slot in on the left, freeing up Adam Blakeman, our most creative player, to get on the ball in midfield. I would recall the forgotten man - yes, Dale who despite my good friend Ian's reservations has a goal or two in him (which is more than can be said for one or two others) and can be relied upon to drive the team forward. And I think Carver may be a better foil for Alex Newby than Jason. We've surely got to come out with all guns blazing against a team who rarely do well at Victory Park and face a real struggle to stay up now.
mike1

Re: GAINSBOROUGH

Postby Tempie » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:47 pm

This 4-3-3: - Urwin, Molyneux, Teague, leather, challoner Jake, blakeman, Whitham Newby, carver, Hughes
Tempie

Postby Ed » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:21 pm

mike1 wrote:Now that everyone has had their say on the non-event of Friday night, what sort of line-up would you like to see against Gainsborough? Here is a team suffering from a managerial change and no doubt unsettled at the moment. We'll never have a better chance of winning a game than on Saturday. I'd go for Matty Hughes in a more forward, penetrative role and I think we can assume that Challoner will be restored at right-back. Lee Molyneux is a very useful signing and should slot in on the left, freeing up Adam Blakeman, our most creative player, to get on the ball in midfield. I would recall the forgotten man - yes, Dale who despite my good friend Ian's reservations has a goal or two in him (which is more than can be said for one or two others) and can be relied upon to drive the team forward. And I think Carver may be a better foil for Alex Newby than Jason. We've surely got to come out with all guns blazing against a team who rarely do well at Victory Park and face a real struggle to stay up now.

Agree with both posts above, especially Dale, but feel back 5 might be prudent until Molyneux settles in.
Also Walker on after 55 min on his past performances might be worth a couple of goals.
Ed

Postby Ian Livesey » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:07 am

Anything other than an attacking display and we wont win. It HAS to be changed, now.

As Jansen likes his golf, he should be seeing this as a 2 yard putt

Gainsborough have lost their last 7 away from home and haven't scored for 6 of those. I'm saying a 0-0 draw or scab it one-nil

But would a win just paper over the cracks?
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Ian Livesey » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:14 am

In a poll on Facebook, 4-3-3 is the favoured formation against Gainsborough. This is how I would like us to set up

Urwin - Molyneaux, Teague, Leather, Challoner - Blakeman, Cottrell, Hughes - Carver, Newby, Walker
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby chewy380 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:59 am

Dale for Jake & Wilson for Walker for me other than that agree with you.
chewy380

Postby Ian Livesey » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:32 pm

chewy380 wrote:Dale for Jake & Wilson for Walker for me other than that agree with you.

Fair shout. Forgot about Wilson tbh
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby andrewa » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:27 pm

Nice to see Steven Rigg get a good run out today, coming on in the 90 th minute must have made a massive difference...or is that too cynica? I wasn't there and look forward to reading peoples opinions. It sounded like the same old story though,lots of dominance no end product.
andrewa

Postby Ian Livesey » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:54 pm

andrewa wrote:Nice to see Steven Rigg get a good run out today, coming on in the 90 th minute must have made a massive difference...or is that too cynica? I wasn't there and look forward to reading peoples opinions. It sounded like the same old story though,lots of dominance no end product.

Rigg had 13 minutes.

Dominant again, but just unlucky with blocked shots and good saves from their keeper. Newby looked good, Wilson took his goal well and we got forward more times than going back again. One day we WILL beat someone 6-0
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby andrewa » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:02 pm

I suppose at the end of the day Ian it's a cliche but a wins a win and will hopefully give confidence to the team. It's a shame we are so rubbish at beating the lower places teams or we would be challenging for 2nd or 3rd by now.
andrewa

Postby Tempie » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:03 pm

Andrew it was better in terms of attacking attitude. The formation was 433 but tbh it was very disjointed in the first half. Molyneux played as part of a midfield 3 and it didn’t work. Not sure what he adds tbh I’ve seen enough of him now. My opinion obviously but without being arrogant I’m not usually wrong. The obvious talking points were leather dropped instead of Jordan- Was never going to matter today but against a side with pace I fear it would! Then Molyneux starting instead of Hughes- That was a shocker I’m afraid! Hughes is twice the player. After Wilson went back into midfield and we had a front 3 of carver, Hughes and newby we looked so much better. There are enough goals in that side that finished (I’m not counting the rigg cameo) to win games. Btw in the few minutes I saw of rigg I’m pretty confident in saying he isn’t as good as carver. I’m not trying to be negative I’m just saying it how it was! Gainsborough are terrible and we were miles better but first half we weren’t very good. Hughes made us look a lot better.
Tempie

Postby Paul Brennan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:43 pm

Agree with (almost) everything you comment here Tempie- just think it's far too early to judge Rigg -he looked OK but had little time to get involved.

FH =terrible; SH -much better with Hughes and Newby running at their defence and creating many problems for them.Hughes MUST start games.
Leaving Leather out was a risk which was not any issue against a very limited GT but surely he is always a certainty unless injured?

Three points true but still need to improve in front of goal in the run-in -still some positives in the second half -COYM
Paul Brennan

Postby andrewa » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:48 pm

Thanks for all for your responses, I thought the gate was very good given our recent form.
Last edited by andrewa on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrewa

Postby Prodigal son » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:48 pm

My view for what it's worth, poor first half, lacked energy and enthusiasm, surprised to see Leather left out, though I thought Jordan had a good game. Where was Molyneux supposed to be playing? If he is National League standard then there must be some poor sides in that League. Thought Newby was outstanding, another player who when he runs at defenders with the ball it is under control and always close to his feet, worth the admission money on his own. Thought the second half was quite good, much more determination, plus the addition of Hughes for Molyneux made quite a difference. Accepting that Wilson scored again, I still remain to be convinced by him, what really is he, he isn't an out and out striker, he certainly isn't a ball player, doesn't win headers in challenges, I think I understand why Telford fans weren't that disappointed to see the back of him. Rigg got just over 10 minutes, no one can judge him on that, had two decent strikes at the ball, both blocked, I think he might well be useful, at least he didn't fall on the floor every time a player went near him.
Will we make the play offs, difficult to say, we certainly need to win the vast majority of our remaining games but scoring does not come easily to us. As far as Gainsboro are concerned they were very poor, without a plan and not a single shot on target, they are down with Ferriby.
Prodigal son

Postby mike1 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:03 pm

[quote="Paul Brennan"]Agree with (almost) everything you comment here Tempie- just think it's far too early to judge Rigg -he looked OK but had little time to get involved.

FH =terrible; SH -much better with Hughes and Newby running at their defence and creating many problems for them.Hughes MUST start games.
Leaving Leather out was a risk which was not any issue against a very limited GT but surely he is always a certainty unless injured?

There were reports that Scott was suffering from a hamstring problem. That would explain his omission, otherwise his non-selection made no sense at all and could have proved costly against a better team in the first half when we were far from convincing and wide- open on occasion to a quick counter-attack. Second half was a different story, a massive improvement- especially when Matty Hughes came on to provide real thrust down the right. As you say, Paul, surely he should feature in the starting-eleven! Alex Newby looks quality too and will be more of a threat when he fully adjusts to his team-mates. Steve Jordan was imperious in defence today, assured in everything he did - which was vital in the absence of Leather. Gainborough worked very hard but in the end did well to get away with just 0-1. By the way, Nick Haughton was warming the Salford bench today at Alfreton - a lot of money to shell out for that role (had they forgotten his wonder-strike at that ground?). To sum up, today's three points almost guarantee (but not quite) National North football at VP next season. Which is the most important thing.
mike1

Postby Tempie » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:42 pm

Leather was fit. I asked him at half time. Not injured just not selected he said.
Tempie

Postby Tommy Whizbang » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:15 pm

Prodigal son wrote:. Accepting that Wilson scored again, I still remain to be convinced by him, what really is he, he isn't an out and out striker, he certainly isn't a ball player, doesn't win headers in challenges, I think I understand why Telford fans weren't that disappointed to see the back of him.

Lordy.
Wilson scored the winner in a 1-0 today with a header.
He's now in double figures of goals scored this season.

The only other player to get double figures for us is sat on the bench at Salford.
Tommy Whizbang

Postby magpie1875 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:11 am

Play 5 at the back and people moan.
Play 4 at the back and people moan about dropping a defender!

New signing written off after 13 minutes of action.
Winning goal scorer derided despite being clubs current top scorer.

An ordinary day on MIS :|
magpie1875

Postby Tempie » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:41 am

magpie1875 wrote:Play 5 at the back and people moan.
Play 4 at the back and people moan about dropping a defender!

New signing written off after 13 minutes of action.
Winning goal scorer derided despite being clubs current top scorer.

An ordinary day on MIS :|

Not moaning about dropping a defender I don’t think. Merely questioning the identity of the defender dropped. Didn’t matter today though.

The fact that Wilson is our top scorer pretty much sums up our problems.

Not wrote off rigg. I said he wasn’t as good as carver. There was 2 other strikers on the bench and one in the stands today that he is (hopefully) better than. If I’m wrong I’ll say so in due course.
Tempie

Postby Away days » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:02 pm

I wasn't convinced by our set up today, I thought dale didn't do enough to justify a start and neither did okeefe and molyneux neither are industrial enough and can't pass a ball forward.... would love to see beesley at LB to free up blakeman to go into midfield along side cotterill to stabilise the middle and have newby and Hughes as wingers running at people .. which leaves our strikers to be in and around the box and not chasing long balls into the corner..... as for rigg I thought he looked ok... but would rather have carver and Metz up front and beat teams for pace..... not convinced with wilson at all.....he was lazy at FC and again yesterday....his goal just papers over the cracks in his game
Away days

Postby toploader999 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:08 pm

lazy?? ask to see his stats works his trout off
toploader999

Postby mike1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:17 pm

Away days wrote:I wasn't convinced by our set up today, I thought dale didn't do enough to justify a start ..... not convinced with wilson at all.....he was lazy at FC and again yesterday....his goal just papers over the cracks in his game

As this forum is all about opinions, I must be allowed to disagree with Away Days on the above two points. Dale's 90 minutes will have done him the world of good yesterday. I happen to think he was excellent in the second half, having caught the pace of the game (after a stop-start season to date), and he was so close to one of his trademark goals from outside the box when his shot clipped the post. As for Josh Wilson, his 10 goals must speak for themselves in such a goal-shy team and without his arrival on the end of that cross yesterday we would presumably have been chalking up only another draw. The term 'lazy' is too easily applied, as Toploader indicates, to a player who ghosts through the opposition sometimes unseen (by both them and apparently some spectators too) !! :wink:
mike1

Postby man in the stand » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:14 pm

Ok. I just say what I see. Without having access to toploader999 stats, or mike1 insights, or knowing any of the players personally, this is what I saw yesterday. The first half looked just like an end of season run out with nothing at stake for us and neither team looking like they may score. We improved after Wilson scored, whom, about five minutes before he did, was described as anonymous by someone close by, and that was being kind. Bringing Hughes on changed things, he brought a little more urgency to a fairly ponderous performance (apart from Newby).
As for Dale (sorry Dale Fans), to me, yet again he didn't offer much in what is supposed to be a pivotal position in the team. He used to play a useful role. He could tackle and pick out a pass, but we were playing two divisions lower back then and I dont honestly think he would get into any other team in this division. It is okay for people to say that he had a great game for the under 21's against the likes of Lancaster reserves or Workington reserves, but as we know, there is a a big difference playing at that level and playing with the big boys. Credit where it is due though. He was unlucky with the shot that hit the outside of the post, but we are still awaiting one of his goals, trademark or otherwise, at Victory Park since he last scored there in September 2016. Now that is a stat.
Fire away chaps.
man in the stand

Postby Ian Livesey » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:45 pm

Wilson was everywhere on the pitch yesterday, I think he covered every blade of grass kind of like Cottrell does when he plays.

Whitham has served us well in the past, but lets not forget this is his 7th season at this club, and others too. Lets just see where we stand at the end of the season as I'm holding Jansen to his "target"

Man in the stand, as you're not a Dale fan, are you a Jake Cottrell fan ? I've noted in the past that he is also overdue a goal and has played nearly 23 hours more than Whitham this season and still hasn't scored. Does Cottrell deserve a place in the team?
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby man in the stand » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:36 pm

Ian. Yes I am a fan of Jake, but I think we all know his form has not been great recently. I'm guessing he is now injured. On his day he does cover every blade of grass, gets in opponents faces and makes tackles, and probably does it better than anyone else in the squad. He has never been a prolific goalscorer but offers plenty to the team without that. (Player of the Season, how many times?)
I'm not saying that some of the players lack energy. I am saying it is possible to cover every blade of grass and not get near the ball.
Just going back to Dale, I'm fairly sure you didn't mean to imply that because he has been with us for seven years gives him an excuse to not try as hard. He is trying.
My ideal midfield three would probably be two Jakes and a Tom Baker. Give the forwards something to work with.
Same as you Ian, I am keeping an eye on the "target".
man in the stand

Postby Ian Livesey » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:38 am

Jake had sickness and diarrheoa yesterday.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby mike1 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:20 pm

Ian Livesey wrote:Jake had sickness and diarrheoa yesterday.

I'm getting very worried about your sleep-pattern, Ian! 3.38 a.m.? Re. Dale, I think he was quite young when he joined us from Leigh - maybe 19 or so? So he should still have legs.
mike1

Postby Prodigal son » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:34 pm

This thread has become a very good illustration of why football is so interesting, how many different views on individual players, just proves the adage that if someone asked all the fans to pick the team there would be one hell of a job sorting out the dozens and dozens of variations. Only thing I am not too keen on is this obsession that some have with "stats" let's face it no team with for example 11 Jakes or 11 Josh Wilson would ever win anything but every good team needs a couple of "runners and grafters. As stated above the ideal midfield could be based on Tom Baker style player and A Jake and Dale style player.
Great to see these opinions, and they are not negative!
Prodigal son

Postby andrewa » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:20 pm

Prodigal son wrote:This thread has become a very good illustration of why football is so interesting, how many different views on individual players, just proves the adage that if someone asked all the fans to pick the team there would be one hell of a job sorting out the dozens and dozens of variations. Only thing I am not too keen on is this obsession that some have with "stats" let's face it no team with for example 11 Jakes or 11 Josh Wilson would ever win anything but every good team needs a couple of "runners and grafters. As stated above the ideal midfield could be based on Tom Baker style player and A Jake and Dale style player.
Great to see these opinions, and they are not negative!

I agree, it's great to see the board fully active again,and as you say, so many different theories. Having an opinion should not ever be seen as negative, it's the root of what football is about,passion, opinions and wanting the team to do well!
andrewa

Return to Chorley FC